Most people consider an everyday makeup routine an essential part of their morning. But it can be confusing deciding which products to use and in what order. Here are some tips on how to achieve that perfect, yet clean and easy makeup look.
- Always start with moisturizer. Hydration is vital to clean and healthy looking skin.
- Be sure to use primer! Primer enables smooth makeup application and allows it to last longer. Primer is especially important if you plan on wearing foundation.
- Depending on your desired look, you may want to apply a bit of concealer in order to even out your skin tone and cover problem areas. Using foundation and concealer together is acceptable as well. Basically, if you are going for an everyday look, you should use foundation sparingly to make your skin tone even and smooth. If you use too much, though, the makeup may become cakey.
- I personally recommend a lighter shade of concealer under eyes to brighten them.
- Next, apply powder using one of these techniques: You could apply a powder, the same color as your skin tone, all over the face or only to specific oily spots. Personally, I would use a technique called baking. In this new trend, a fair amount of translucent powder should be applied to areas such as under the eyes, chin and jawline. When finished, do not brush it off yet.
- While the powder is setting, you can prime your eyes and get them ready for eyeshadow. Some people prefer to skip this step and instead decide to put on some top and/or bottom eyeliner. After this is done, and the powder from the last step has settled on you skin, you can finally brush off the powder.
- If you want to spice up your look and wear eyeshadow, I find it easiest to wear two colors, a light one and a dark one. For a quick look, you can apply the light shadow all over the lid, going slightly above the eye crease. Remember, blending out the eyeshadow is key for an everyday look. In my opinion, a blending brush is a must-have for every makeup fanatic. It will help harsh, dark lines diminish. Next, take the dark shadow and apply it to the corner of your eye, blending it inward, but not all the way across your lid. It should slowly fade toward the center of your eye, with the outer corner being the darkest part. If you really want to spice up your look for a special occasion, you can apply a shimmery shadow in the center of the lid. After eyeshadow application, you can apply the eyeliner.
- You may also add some color to your cheeks in order to attain a natural-looking flush. Adding a little bronzer on the temple downwards below the cheekbone can give your face some definition. Bronzing and highlighting, while both optional, can bring shape and glow to your face. Highlighter can be applied on your cheekbone, right above the blush. Sometimes, I skip blush and just add a little highlighter.
- After all your makeup is applied, use a setting spray so the makeup stays in place.
Your daily makeup routine doesn’t have to be routine! Experiment and try new products and techniques. Soon you will learn what works best and have an everyday makeup routine that is unique and perfect for you.
Categories: The Style File